Here are my traditionally late goals for the year. I always feel like I'm missing something (hence the reason that I've had this post written but unpublished for a month) but here goes:
1. Reclaim evenings that have been lost to the internet. To make this happen, I'm making a rule for myself: no laptop on the couch during the week. If I want to write, return emails, upload and edit photos, or read blogs, I'll do it while sitting at the table or the desk. The goal is to put an end to those nights where I sit down to write one email and look up to find that hours have gone by. Those nights leave me tired and annoyed. Instead, if I sit down on the couch I'll have something else in my lap: a novel, a crochet project, a cookbook, a notebook, a magazine.
2. Take care of myself/commit to 'me time'. This is something I really want to get a handle on. Schedule time for exercise. Go to yoga classes. Meet a friend for a drink. Use my lunch hour for walks/reading instead of Google Reader. Paint my toenails. Also in this category: go to the dentist. Go to the eye doctor. Get a physical.
3. Run a 10k - this is the year. Also, run at least three 5k's (get back to a sub-30 minute 5k)
4. Take a family trip to the Boston Aquarium and Childrens' Museum
5. Celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary in some special way. We have lots of traveling coming up this year, so maybe it won't be an anniversary trip, but I want to be sure to celebrate the milestone.
6. Finish the photobook of Evy's 1st year. She turns two next month. Oops.
7. Read before bed again. This goes hand in hand with #1. Already doing much better with this in 2013 than I did in 2012.
8. Continue on the path to 'real food' eating.
9. Actually donate all the stuff piling up in the basement "donate" pile.
10. Garden with Evy. Be intentional with the garden plan. Grow things I think she'll eat. Have her help me start seeds. Build/plant a second raised bed.
11. Finish the porch project. Put up lattice, paint, plant the garden in front of it, decorate inside.
12. Paint the upstairs bathroom.
13. Show Evy more of her city (the toddler version):
- Visit three new city playgrounds.
- Spend a Saturday (or two or three or five) at the State Museum. Ride the carousel, visit the Sesame Street exhibit.
- Take walks around Washington Park
15. Go to my (gasp choke cough) 10-year College Reunion
16. Take Evy sailing. Several times.
17. Do yoga outdoors, preferably on the beach. Look into doing this on Cape May or Cape Cod this summer.
18. Have an old fashioned sleepover with my lady friends. Let's figure out how to do this.
19. Visit Grace. Continued prayers to the airfare gods.
20. Take my mom out for lunch and pedicures.
21. Go for a family bike ride on the Mohawk-Hudson rail trail.
22. Continue on the path to Simplifying: keep on getting rid of stuff, practice the "1 in 1 out" rule, get rid of things we don't use, organize our space to fit with our life, work toward only having things that are useful/beautiful.
23. Get our mail problem under control. The avalanche and "oops, didn't see that" syndrome can't continue. Find and implement a system that works for us. Stop junk mail. Sign up for as many e-bills as possible. Shred what needs shredding.
24. Hang framed family wedding photos (that we displayed at our wedding) on the staircase.
23. Accomplish much of the above by reviving the "project a week" project.